newVoices Mission Statement
NewVoices will connect, engage, and strengthen communities through the unifying power of choral music.
- Quality: Pursue high standards of musical expression through choral singing.
- Relevance: Link today’s issues with timeless messages in classical and contemporary choral music—create programming that matters.
- Inspire Joy: Express the joy of singing together.
- Share: Seek innovative ways within and beyond the concert hall to make our choral programming affordable, accessible, and inclusive for community audiences.
- Stewardship: Grow and sustain the role of choral singing in our community by wisely managing the organization’s financial and human resources.
NewVoices sings music that uplifts and inspires residents of Northeast Wisconsin. We are a mixed-voice adult choir comprised of 80 volunteer singers who audition, rehearse, and perform like professionals. We are to choral music what a symphony is to orchestral music. Our singers and audiences come from a 6-county region. We perform 4-5 live choral concerts annually, each featuring fresh repertoire and with thematic programming that responds to community issues and emphasizes collaboration with partner organizations.
NewVoices is rooted in community:
- Our singers are unpaid but audition, rehearse, and perform like professionals.
- Our organization is led by a community-based board of directors who contribute professional skills, networks, and experience to fulfill our mission.
- We serve a community audience drawn from a 6-county region, with ongoing and special programs to engage diverse audiences of all life stages, including youth and seniors.
- We give voice to community issues through collaborative artistic and educational programming with partners such as the Sexual Assault Crisis Center, Fox Valley Memory Project, League of Women Voters, Fox Valley Symphony, Appleton Boychoir, and Lawrence Academy of Music.
About our name newVoices
The name newVoices reflects the audiences and singers we attract throughout Northeast Wisconsin and a fresh approach to the tradition of quality, choral singing.
- “New” stands for Northeast Wisconsin – both our singers and our audience members come from throughout the region.
- “New” stands for fresh, innovative and a novel approach for sharing the choral art form.
- “Voices” acknowledges our instruments; the way we make and share music with each other and with you.
Our name change underscores our mission to share the best in fresh choral works as well as presenting the music of the masters. We commit our organization to presenting a diverse range of choral music that has been a hallmark of our long history.
Our tag line is “Northeast Wisconsin’s Vocal Artists” which serves to give our organization a sense of place and reinforces our commitment to choral and vocal art forms.
A few things to remember:
- Our name is newVoices, not: new voices, new Voices or NEW Voices.
- When the name appears as the first word in a sentence, capitalize the first word.
- When the name appears in a headline, do not capitalize the first word
- When using the name in text, it should appear as newVoices.